Search This Blog

Friday 21 June 2024

Petty Country: A Country Music Celebration of Tom Petty - Various Artists

One of the things I love about doing a music blog is being able to share some of the music that I am enjoying listening to at any given moment. I realise that not everyone who reads the blog will have the same musical taste, but that's okay, I'm not going to get on your case about it. I guess the one thing I have always tried is to do put something up that might give you the reader an opportunity to experience something different from what you normally listen to. Today's choice is a collection of songs by Tom Petty performed a number of artists from the world of Country Music

For those who may be wondering where Country Music fits among all the other types of music I listen to, let me assure you that it's not a new thing at all with me. As a kid I grew up with a Mother, who among her own musical tastes, absolutely loved Country Music. It was not uncommon to hear the sounds of Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Dolly Parton, Glen Campbell and Tammy Wynette plus loads more playing on the living room stereo. Add to that my own delving into the genre with the music of Hank Wangford, Emmylou Harris, Buddy & Julie Miller, as well as newer artists like Miranda Lambert, Jason Isbell, Ashley McBryde, Eric Church, and oh so many more.

So if you are open to experiencing something new to your ears this might be a good starting place. There are links for every song on the album and as a wee bonus I'll post a few links for some other artists covering the songs of Tom Petty.

Petty Country: A Country Music Celebration of Tom Petty - Various Artists
Big Machine
21st June 2024

Album Trailer

 

Tracklist:
1 “I Should Have Known It” – Chris Stapleton
2 “Wildflowers” – Thomas Rhett
3 “Runnin’ Down A Dream” – Luke Combs
4 “Southern Accents” – Dolly Parton
5 “Here Comes My Girl” – Justin Moore
6 “American Girl” – Dierks Bentley
7 “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” – Lady A
8 “I Forgive It All” – Jamey Johnson
9 “I Won’t Back Down” – Brothers Osborne
10 “Refugee” – Wynonna Judd & Lainey Wilson
11 “Angel Dream #2” – Willie Nelson & Lukas Nelson
12 “Learning to Fly” – Eli Young Band
13 “Breakdown” – Ryan Hurd feat. Carly Pearce
14 “Yer So Bad” – Steve Earle
15 “Ways to Be Wicked” – Margo Price & Mike Campbell
16 “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” – Midland
17 “Free Fallin’” – The Cadillac Three feat. Breland
18 “I Need to Know” – Marty Stuart And His Fabulous Superlatives
19 “Don’t Come Around Here No More” – Rhiannon Giddens feat. Benmont Tench
20 “You Wreck Me” (Live) – George Strait

*************************************

Tom Petty (pictured above, credit to Sam Jones) and Country Music, it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (some Petty fans are already foaming at the mouth in rage that such a thing is happening!) but I think it's a gem of an album. It also has the seal of approval from the family of Petty and even a couple of Heartbreakers turn up on the album (Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench). I guess if folks have an axe to grind about the album they should take it up with those who gave it the okay in the first place rather than attack the artists involved in the project.

*****************************

Bonus: The Songs of Tom Petty

Walls (Live) - Glen Campbell

You Wreck Me - UK Subs

American Girl (Live) - The Killers

Wildflowers (Live on The Howard Stern Show) - Miley Cyrus

Free Fallin' (Live on BBC Radio 2) - Busted 

The Waiting (Live From Home) - Jackson Browne

Runnin' Down A Dream ( Clear Channel iHeart) - Daughtry

I Won't Back Down - Johnny Cash

A Face In The Crowd (Live) - Spoon 

Learning To Fly - Nat Simons

Love Is A Long Road - Beth Bombara

Honey Bee (Live SirusXM) - Foo Fighters

Angel Dream No.2 - Norah Jones

I Need To Know (feat. Mike Campbell) - Starcrawler

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Hindley Street Country Club

Breakdown (Live at Austin City Limits Radio 2017) - Lukas Nelson

 Saving Grace - Ragged Union

All The Wrong Reasons - Knoeline Keane

You Don't Know How It Feels - Walk off the Earth

Even The Losers - The Undecideds

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts