Wednesday, 15 June 2011
Gems From My Collection - John Peel
I remeber meeting John Peel a couple of times in my life when he was DJ at Reading Festival and a show I was working at with a band called the Disco Zombies in Northampton. That Northampton show was the first time I met him and I asked him if he could play a UK Subs record for the some of my mates on his show. The following Monday night show he did indeed play the UK Subs and gave the dedication to our little gang known as the Forest Hill Punks. A top bloke indeed.
He was in my mind one of the most important people on Radio because he played music that you would never hear during the daytime and he showcased so many great bands down through the years that you wonder if we ever would have heard of them had they not been given the platform of the John Peel Session.It wasn't only those who had sessions of course that benefitted from getting airplay because Peel played everything on his show from Death Metal, Reggae, Belgian House, Hip Hop, Indie, Punk, World Music and a whole lot more. His influence on the business is outstanding and he just saw himself as someone who loved music and wanted to share it with others.
When John Peel passed out of this world the BBC Radio 1 put together a fantastic show presented by Jarvis Cocker entitled 'Teenage Dreams So Hard To Beat' that includes tributes and stories of Peel and some funny moments of Peel playing tracks at the wrong speed. I had a wee listen to it again today and it set me thinking a lot about the man. If you want to listen to the show Then Click Here to Download It.
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (667)
- ► 2015 (698)
- ► 2014 (686)
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (280)
- The Alarm The Sound and The Fury CD
- June 30th 1991
- Bruce's Eulogy for The Big Man Clarence Clemons
- Gems From My Collection - The Godfathers
- Thirty Five Years of The Damned
- Gems From My Collection - The Smiths - The Queen I...
- Gems From My Collection - Some Favourite Singles
- Gems From My Collection - John Peel
- Gems From My Collection - The Ruts
- Gems From My Collection - All Change by Cast
- Gems From My Collection - Simple Minds
- Gems From My Collection - The Go-Go's
- Gems From My Collection - The Shangri-las
- Gems From My Collection - The Donnas
- Gems From My Collection - Revisiting Blondie
- Gems From My Collection - The Motorcycle Boy
- Gems From My Collection - Subway Sect Retrospectiv...
- The Alarm Hammersmith Palais February 1984
- Adam Ant Sheffield Academy 24th May 2011
- Blondie New Album Panic of Girls
- ▼ June (20)
- ► 2010 (60)
- ► 2009 (48)
This is a revision of a piece I did last year as some of the links on it were dead. Some new links and information have been added and I t...
This week I have decided to include a number of songs that were my particular favourites throughout this year. There are of course many mo...
Now, choosing your favourite albums of the year is no easy matter because you will often find that absolutely no one actually agrees with ...
One of my good friends Alyson is an absolutely huge fan of OMD so I have a feeling she will be quite delighted to see that this has made...
So, today is Black Friday and for the retail world it's a time to role out the bargins and people get to buy stuff they don't re...
I knew nothing about Cage The Elephant in Mid-Summer except that they had recorded a cover version of one of my favourite songs in Musica...
Apologies for the lack of picture sleeves this week I was having a problem with Discogs that was constantly causing the computer to fre...
The album at #11 in The Best Albums of 2017 is one that was released posthumously almost four months after the passing of Gregg Allman ...
Bring three of the big Pop stars of the 1970's and you are never really sure what you are going to get! I guess I was a wee bit skepti...
#17 on the list of The Best Albums of 2017 for Soundtrack4Life is the ninth Studio Album from Boston's Dropkick Murphys . The albu...