Search This Blog

Thursday 14 November 2013

Happy 21st Anniversary


I don't usually post stuff of a personal nature on this blog but I couldn't resist mentioning the 21st Wedding Anniversary of my wife Kerstin and I.

We first met in 1991 in Hamburg, Germany and we got married on the 14th November 1992. Best decision of my life ever. It was a case of  Baby, Now That I Found You....

I find it incredible to think about spending 21 years with one person. Back when I was a teenager (such a long time ago now!) I thought reaching the age of 21 was something I might never make due to the wild lifestyle I had and that heart cry of Pete Townshend, "I Hope I Die Before I Get Old". But 29 years have past since I reached that age, and 9 years since I reached it for the second time and I'm still here!

I wouldn't trade the life I have now with anything. I love my wife far more than words on a blog, an anniversary card, or on a facebook comment can tell.

I can still remember the day as clear as the blue sky (though we don't have many of them at the moment). Friends and family had travelled to Essen in Germany for the big day from all corners of Europe to celebrate with us on what was a pretty nice November day.

The service was in German, translated into English and the Pastor who preached the Wedding Sermon was from Holland. So a Dutchman preached in English and was translated into German.

Kerstin always reminds me that when she entered the church that I didn't look at her until she reached the altar. I maintain to this day that it was because I wanted to be surprised by her beauty when she first stood beside me, and boy was she a beauty! And by the way, she still is a beauty.

We had a marvellous service and a friend of Kerstin's even took time out to come and play the bagpipes on the Church steps.

All in all it was the perfect day for the both of us. We laughed, cried, took great delight in the antics of friends and family who had prepared little skits and songs, and we feasted on fine food.

21 Years down the road and I'm still blown away by the fact that I have been blessed with the gift of a wonderful wife who has been a rock and a fantastic support to me. I rejoice that everyday I get to wake up knowing that I have the opportunity of being loved and more importantly, of sharing love from the bottom of my heart with the one person that I can be myself with and know that I am still loved. Every thought of her reminds me that the night still stands still.

So, I dedicate this post to Kerstin. I love you my sweetheart as I have done from the moment I set eyes upon you. In the words of Tom Petty, Our Love Was Built To Last.


Here's some of the songs that have been part of the Soundtrack4Life on the journey. Click on the Links to enjoy the music.


I could easily post a hundred more but will limit myself to the above.

Lots of love to my sweetheart Kerstin.

Doug. xxx
 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts