Search This Blog

Monday 23 February 2015

S4L Presents: The Best Debut Albums #8 - The Psychedelic Furs


Before talking about today's choice I just want to say that the numbers you see in the title to this post and any post in this series are not a chart placing, there is no chart (I did say that I had intially wanted to do a chart but as the choices were so many I abandoned that idea pretty fast). This is article #8 in what I presume to be a long running series. Just thought I'd clear that up to prevent any more confusion as a couple of people had asked to see a list of the albums going to be spotlighted (well they are not going to get the chance as my poor chicken scrawl means it would be difficult for them to decipher!). So, from my poorly scribbled list and the choices of some guests you'll get them as they come, not in any particular order of preference to me. Let's move on...

One debut album to me that still stands the test of time is the self-titled album from The Psychedelic Furs. It's hard to believe that the album is 35 years old this year. It's an album that also gets a lot of airplay at home.

Whilst other albums of theirs enjoyed greater success chartwise, from a personal point of view I don't think any of them bettered this debut release (there, I've said it and will stand by that no matter what others may say!).


Released February 1980
Epic Records
 
The album reached #18 in the UK Chart and only #140 in the US Chart.
 
 The tracklisting below is for the 9 track original UK release. For some reason 'Blacks'Radio' was removed from the US release and 'Susan's Strange' and 'Soap Commercial' replaced it.
 
Produced by Steve Lilywhite (except where noted)

Side one


  1. "India" – 6:21
  2. "Sister Europe" – 5:38
  3. "Imitation of Christ" – 5:28
  4. "Fall" – 2:40
  5. "Pulse" – 2:37 (produced by Howard Thompson, Ian Taylor and The Psychedelic Furs)


Side two


  1. "We Love You" – 3:26 (produced by Howard Thompson, Ian Taylor and The Psychedelic Furs)
  2. "Wedding Song" – 4:19
  3. "Blacks/Radio" – 6:56
  4. "Flowers" – 4:10 (produced by Howard Thompson, Ian Taylor and The Psychedelic Furs)

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts