Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 October 2016

45RPM: #108 (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais - The Clash (1978)

 (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais / The Prisoner - The Clash
CBS
Produced by The Clash
Released 17th June 1978
UK Chart #32

A-Side: (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
written by Joe Strummer and Mick Jones


B-Side: The Prisoner
written by Joe Strummer and Mick Jones

*********************
I don't really have much to say about the fifth single by The Clash except that for me it is the finest and absolute best Punk Rock Single ever recorded! Yep, you read that correctly, better than Anarchy in the UK, better than New Rose and even better than Spiral Scratch EP! Of course that's just my opinion others would point to those mentioned as being right up there at the top and maybe others would suggest that Complete Control was a much better single or White Riot maybe. I'm sticking to my guns though and have done for more than thirty odd years since it was released.

The B-Side as well is one of their best, but that title would probably go to Armagideon Time or Jail Guitar Doors (I haven't quite decided that one yet!).

38 Years on from its release I still think it sounds magnificent.

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros 
Roseland Ballroom, New York
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais


No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts