Search This Blog

Monday 17 October 2016

MEmphis Rock and Soul - Melissa Etheridge (October 2016)

MEmphis Rock and Soul - Melissa Etheridge
Stax
Produced by John Burk and Melissa Etheridge
Released 7th October 2016


On The Playlist Above
An Introduction to MEmphis Rock and Soul (Part of the Pledge Campaign).
Respect Yourself
Hold On I'm Coming
I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)
Any Other Way
Rock Me Baby (Live)
Born Under A Bad Sign (Live)
Interview on WCBSFM New York 4th October 2016
Facebook Listening Party 3rd October 2016



******************

(Links below will take you to the original versions of the songs)

I am certain I've said it elsewhere on this blog but I'm not always a huge fan of Covers Albums but every now and again one comes along that just blows me away a little. This time around it's Melissa Etheridge and her tribute to Stax Records and released on Stax as well - MEmphis Rock and Soul.


The album contains an updated version of the old Staple Singers number Respect Yourself (People Stand Up) that used the orignal backing track that was recorded at Muscle Shoals by the in-house band affectionately known as The Swampers. There's some Otis Redding numbers including a magnificent version of I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop) and my favourite Otis song Dreams To Remember. Add to that Any Other Way (originally done by the great William Bell who has also recently released a brand new album on Stax), Sam & Dave's Hold On I'm Coming, Memphis Train (Rufus Thomas), Who's Making Love (Johnnie Taylor), I'm A Lover (Staple Singers), Rock Me Baby (Otis Redding but originally done by B.B, King), I Forgot To Be Your Lover (William Bell), Wait a Minute (Babara Stephens) and Born Under A Bad Sign (Albert King) - and you got the makings of one brilliant collection of music.

Well worth grabbing hold of a copy of this. It might not end up as one of the years best selling albums but I'm pretty sure it will be one of the best albums of the year.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts