Have to say that normally I find that when an artist releases an album of cover versions it is often a bit of a disappointment because rarely do the songs end up sounding anything but glorified Karaoke (unless it's Johnny Cash)!
But back in October 2004, one of my favourite bands The Beautiful South released a Covers Project that was against the norm. Their previous album, Gaze (2003), was the first album that did not make the Top Ten (#14) and Golddiggas, Headnodders and Pholk Songs ended up only making it to #11.
A wee look at the tracklist and it was nothing less than you would expect from Paul Heaton and Co. They had always been a band who performed classy covers in their live shows and so this was going to be a fascinating listen seeing how they would take on the likes of ELO, The Zombies, Willie Nelson, Ramones, The Stylistics and S Club 7!!
Hope you enjoy it. If you have never heard it before it's worth taking the time to listen. You may not like everything they have done with the songs but they certainly set their own seal upon them.
- "You're The One That I Want" (originally recorded by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John)
- "Livin' Thing" (Electric Light Orchestra)
- "This Will Be Our Year" (The Zombies)
- "Ciao!" (Lush)
- "Valentine" (Willie Nelson)
- "Don't Fear the Reaper" (Blue Öyster Cult)
- "This Old Skin" (an original Beautiful South song)
- "Don't Stop Moving" (S Club 7)
- "Till I Can't Take It Anymore" (Ben E. King)
- "Rebel Prince" (Rufus Wainwright)
- "Blitzkrieg Bop" (The Ramones)
- "I'm Stone In Love With You" (The Stylistics)