Search This Blog

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Music is the Doctor #7: Tribute to The Who


The Who have been getting a lot of love of late, especially after their recent shows celebrating their 50 years! Add to that an impressive set at Glastonbury showing Kanye West what real Rock sounds like.

Thought it would be good to carry on that love with a Music is the Doctor Playlist paying homage to The Who, it's members and their solo work and feature a few artists who have found inspiration in their work. There's a few links as well that you can click on to hear some more music.


1. The Seeker - The Who
So, my mate Dougie from Sligo tried to convince me today that Mick Hucknall had done a worthy cover of this tune...Mick Hucknall, can you believe that! I love old Dougie but I fear he is seriously misguided on this particular issue! He'll probably disown me after publicly outing him on his regard for the Ginger Boy!
On the other hand my mate Skinny posted a version by Rush that was very acceptable to my ears (mainly because it wasn't Mick Hucknall singing it!)

2. The Kids Are Alright - Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs
From their excellent series 'Under The Covers'. There's a few covers of this one that I like (I've already posted in a previous playlist the great version by Eddie and the Hot Rods).

3. Baba O'Riley - The Who
My mate Bevan always makes me laugh whenever this one and 'Won't Get Fooled Again' are mentioned. He calls them the "CSI Songs". 
Even after all these years it still sounds fantastic live. The performance of it at Glastonbury was quite something to behold.

4. Disguises - The Jam 
The Jam released a couple of covers of The Who as B-Sides and this one is from 'Funeral Pyre'. Oh course there was a lot of chatter back in the day that Paul Weller and Co were the next "Who" but Weller never said anything of the sort. He wore his love for them on his sleeve and in many ways I thought it was great because as a result youngsters were turning their attention back to some of the most amazing music of the Sixties as a result.

5. Rough Boys - Pete Townshend
There's a few bits and pieces of Pete's Solo stuff that I really enjoy and this is one of them. Think this would have sounded good as a song for The Who.

6. Giving It All Away - Roger Daltrey.
Roger's Solo stuff always felt a bit light to me. I did like the McVicar soundtrack though.

7. Peg Leg Peggy - John Entwistle
Can't say that I've heard much of The Ox's Solo stuff before. I kinda like this one though, some cool rock and roll. 

8. Crazy Like A Fox - Keith Moon
 Keith released a solo album 'Two Sides of the Moon'. It wasn't brilliant but a few things on it were interesting.

9. 5.15 - The Who
This live version is just amazing. Filmed at The Royal Albert Hall, London in 2002.

10. Who Are You - The Who
One of the last great singles by The Who I think. 

11. Let My Love Open The Door - Audio Adrenaline
This is another fav Pete Solo song, this time covered by a Christian band out of Atlanta for their album 'Underdog'.

12. Love, Reign O'er Me/The Real Me - Pearl Jam
Sometimes Eddie Vedder's voice really bugs me (sorry, it's a personal issue!) but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and actually really like this version.

13. My Generation - Oasis
Oasis could never quite make up their minds if they thought they were The Beatles or The Who and surprisingly they pulled off a pretty tasty version of possibly the most famous songs of The Who
Patti Smith does an expletive full version of it as well and has been performing it for years. Her version of it at Glastonbury was quite mezmerizing!

14. I Can See For Miles - The Who
Pete Townshend was quite mortified when this single flopped and quite rightly so, how it did so one will never know. It is a fantastic slice of 1960's rock.

15. Going Mobile - The Who
 From the brilliant 'Who's Next' Album and one that apparently they as a band hadn't played live before! Not sure if that still stands (should ask Dougie if he's talking to me after the Mick Hucknall comments above!). I know when Roger was out touring Solo that Simon Townshend (Pete's brother) would sing it in the set.

16. Going Back Home - Roger Daltry and Wilko Johnson
One of the best collaborations I've heard in years has come from this pairing. The album, 'Going Back Home', is a total gem and well worth a blast.

17. Spirit of Keith Moon - Peter and the Test Tube Babies
Punk rockers always had an affection for Keith Moon. His antics and tomfoolery were often quite rebellious. This track was a B-Side to the Test Tubes' brilliant single 'The Jinx'. I still have a lot of love for this tune. I think old Moonie would have approved!

18. Young Man Blues - The Who 
From possibly one of the best bootlegs of The Who from the 1970's.

19. Sustitute - The Who
Guitar World posted a Top Ten of Cover Versions of songs written by The Who and at #4 was a version of this by the Sex Pistols! Now I have to say this, their version is absolutely wretched! Best to go to the source! This version was filmed at a show in Kilburn back in 1977. 

20. Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
Next to 'My Generation' this is probably one of the most loved of all songs by The Who. This particular video was filmed at Shepperton Studios and was one of the final performances of Keith Moon with the band.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts