Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 August 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 216 Arthur Lee & Love

Love - Love
Elektra
Produced by Mark Abramson and Jac Holzman
Released March 1966
US Charts #57


On this day in musical history back in 2006 Arthur Lee, lead vocalist and songwriter for the 1960's band Love passed away at the age of 61. He had been undergoing aggresive treatment for Acute Myeloid Leukemia at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis. His sickness did not become public knowledge until April 2006.

As a wee shout out to honour his memory today I thought I'd post the Debut Album and probably what is considered the finest record from Love that were released in 1966 (I was only three years old when this came out!) and 1967 respectively. 

I have to confess that my knowledge of Love only came about when I heard various cover versions of their songs by bands like The Bangles (I think this was the first cover of the song I heard), The Damned and Ramones etc (though saying these were the first covers I had heard is probably wrong because Hey Joe by Hendrix I had heard as a kid but wouldn't have known it was an Arthur Lee song then, and plus how vastly different are the original by Love and the Jimi Hendrix version. Also the Patti Smith version was known to me).

Forever Changes - Love
Elektra
Produced by Bruce Botnick and Arthur Lee
Released November 1967
US Chart #154
UK Chart #24


Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts