Search This Blog

Sunday 21 August 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 234 - The Psychedelic Furs

Mirror Moves - The Psychedelic Furs
CBS
Produced by Keith Forsey
Released 21st August 1984
UK Chart #15
US Chart ##43
Canadian Chart #16
New Zealand Chart #5
Swedish Chart #26




A1 The Ghost In You
A2 Here Come Cowboys
A3 Heaven    
A4 Heartbeat
B1 My Time
B2 Like A Stranger
B3 Alice's House
B4 Only A Game
B5 Highwire Days

Singles From Mirror Moves
UK Chart #29


UK Chart #68
US Chart #59 

US Single
Did Not Chart


12"
UK Chart #62 

 Personnel
    Richard Butler – lead and background vocals
    John Ashton – guitar
    Tim Butler – bass guitar
    Keith Forsey – drum machine; drums; percussion

Additional personnel
    Tommy Price – drums on Here Come The Cowboys and Heaven
    Mars Williams – saxophone
 

*****************************
Pretty much most of the music that I put up here on the blog is stuff that I listen to myself and have as part of my collection. Some groups have a favoured place among my Go To Bands List and some records find a place among my long list of favourites. Such is the case today with The Psychedelic Furs and their fourth Studio Album Mirror Moves.

Within my favourites list sit a number of titles that I would never want to be without and two albums from The Furs have solidified a place for themselves in that high and lofty company: The Self-Titled Debut Album and Mirror Moves. It might surprise you that I chose Mirror Moves above Talk Talk Talk or Forever Now but it comes down to personal choice and that is one of mine.

It is of course very different to the Debut Album which had a really raw edge and a sense of brooding darkness pervading over it, whereas Mirror Moves sounds very polished and more friendly for radio, for TV and just about everything inbetween.

You have to wonder about the credibility of the suits at CBS who decided not to release Heaven as a single for the American Market but instead go for Here Come Cowboys! Its madness I tell you!

I was very pleased though that they released Heartbeat first as a B-Side to Heaven and then as a Single in its own right. It's probably my favourite track on the album and overall is my favourite track by The Psychedelic Furs (again I say it's a matter of personal choice before anyone rises up in rebellion!). I do have to say though that as someone who is not a fan of Remixes I was quite taken with the New York Remix that appeared on the B-Side of Heaven. The Mendelshon Remix that was actually released as the single is better in The Long Version that was on the 12" rather than the shorter version that appeared on the 7".

I want to dedicate this today to some friends in New Jersey who share a similar affection as me for The Psychedelic Furs...they know who they are.



Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts