Search This Blog

Saturday 2 January 2016

Tomorrow Is My Turn - Rhiannon Giddens (February 2015)

Tomorrow Is My Turn - Rhiannon Giddens
Nonesuch
Produced by T Bone Burnett
Released 10th February 2015
US Chart #53
US Folk Albums #4
 

Track listing and Writers
1.     "Last Kind Words"  - Geeshie Wiley     4:13
2.     "Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind"  - Dolly Parton     3:39
3.     "Waterboy" - Jacques Wolfe     3:45
4.     "She's Got You" - Hank Cochran     4:17
5.     "Up Above My Head" - Sister Rosetta Tharpe     3:09
6.     "Tomorrow Is My Turn" -  Charles Aznavour, Marcel Stellman, Yves Stephane     4:37
7.     "Black Is the Color" -  Rhiannon Giddens     3:45
8.     "Round About the Mountain" - Traditional     3:30
9.     "Shake Sugaree" - Elizabeth Cotten     4:24
10.     "O Love Is Teasin'" - Traditional     4:32
11.     "Angel City" - Rhiannon Giddens     3:52

Watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny from New Year's Eve on the BBC was as usual a bizzare mix of artists, some good, others not so good. One artist did stand out though and I hadn't heard of her before (well actually I had but I didn't equate the person I was watching with the band I had heard her sing with before) - Rhiannon Giddens. The group I'd heard her sing with before was the Carolina Chocolate Drops, but obviously not having heard more than maybe four or five songs a number of years ago, I didn't at first realise she was the same person I was watching pull off a rousing St James Infirmary Blues with Sir Tom Jones.

So, a year late to the party, but hey that's okay. It's always good to discover something new even when it's a bit old! I think I'm going to do a few posts today that feature her music, so be prepared! She seems to crossover into many different musical styles with the album and it's good to see that T Bone Burnett was involved as that man has a great eye and an even better ear for talent.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts