Search This Blog

Friday 11 December 2015

Gems From My Collection: The New Favourites Of... - Brinsley Schwarz (1974)

The New Favourites Of... is the sixth and final album by Brinsley Schwarz and is one that I've only recently got digitized and on the computer. It's a real cracker that includes the first recording of Nick Lowe's What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding.

It has been released in CD before, back in 2001(I don't have a copy of it at all) and that was by a German label Repertoire Records (they included a number of bonus tracks: I've Cried My Last Tear, (It's Gonna Be A) Bringdown, Everybody and There's A Cloud In My Heart).

After their demise Brinsley went to play on the final tour for Ducks Deluxe and then he, Bob Andrews and Martin Belmont of Ducks Deluxe joined up with Graham Parker to play in his backing band The Rumour.

Nick Lowe teamed up with producer of the last album, Dave Edmunds, and they formed Rockpile. Lowe would also go on to have some minor success as a solo artist and also as a producer for Stiff Records and in particular Elvis Costello. Lowe's 1979 hit Cruel To Be Kind was originally recorded for a final album that went unreleased by Brinsley Schwarz.


 The New Favourites Of... -  Brinsley Schwarz
United Artists
Produced by Dave Edmunds
Released 1974

Personnel
    Brinsley Schwarz - Guitar, alto and tenor sax, vocals
    Ian Gomm - Guitars, vocals
    Billy Rankin - drums
    Bob Andrews - Keyboards, alto sax, vocals
    Nick Lowe - Bass guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
    Carlos Luna - Harmonica




A1     (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding
A2     Ever Since You're Gone
A3     The Ugly Things
A4     I Got The Real Thing
A5     The Look That's In Your Eye Tonight
B1     Nows The Time
B2     Small Town Big Guy
B3     Trying To Live My Life Without You
B4     I Like You, I Don't Love You
B5     Down In The Dive     4:52



No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts