Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!: Day 34 - Who's Got My Back?

I've always been drawn toward song titles that come in the form of a question. One reason is probably I, like many, am often seeking answers to life's great questions and every once in a while you do happen to find them in a song! Not always mind you, and it's not necessarily a good thing to put your trust in a man who makes his living playing guitar all around the world! I'm not a huge fan of Noel Gallagher and Oasis but he did impart a great bit of wisdom once in his song Don't Look Back In Anger:

"Please don't put your life in the hands
Of a Rock 'n' Roll band
Who'll throw it all away"

There's a lot of wisdom in that lyric I tell you!

Anyway, the question that Creed poses in this amazing song from the Weathered album, and before you say "Creed? Seriously?", it's important to point out that I could easily have used (Just Who is) The Five O' Clock Hero? by The Jam but then we would not have spent the moments thinking about something important!

I really like the lyric of this song because it deals with the subject of where we find security when life all around seems to be falling apart and it appears that we are alone to deal with the consequences. In the first verse you get that picture of fear, a wallowing in "the covenant broken" - a broken promise, a failure on someone's part to do what they said they were going to do, and the result doesn't look pretty or feel pretty for that matter - "leaving us with no shoulder to rest our head on". It's an unpleasant feeling that some people have even when they are part of a crowd they still feel lonesome and wonder "Who' Got My Back?"

Where the first verse looks like despair, in the second there is a ray of hope - "There's still time" and there's almost a promise - "All that has been devasted can be recreated". Of course we have to be realistic because there are some things that just cannot be "recreated" no matter how much we long for the clock to be rewound and maybe get a second chance to deal with the situation that brought about this present calamity in our lives (things like the loss of a loved one). But where we assumed that there was "no shoulder to rest our head on" it's like a light goes one and we see people around us who will aid in picking up the "broken pieces of our lives" and suddenly, as they give themselves "to each other" they become the ones on whom we "rest our head on". It reminds me of that line in U2's song 'One' - "We get to carry each other".

My own way of dealing with the question "Who's Got My Back?" is to reflect upon the faith I have, I understand that not everyone has faith themselves. For me it's the realisation that there is someone more powerful than I am who really does have my back because I am in his hand and that is the safest place to be, also it's the understanding that around me he has put some good folk who are supportive and do indeed have my back, and I'm grateful for each and every one of them. They know who they are.


 "Who's Got My Back?"
Run...hide
All that was sacred to us
Sacred to us
See the signs
The covenant has been broken
By mankind
Leaving us with no shoulder...with no shoulder
To rest our head on
To rest our head on
To rest our head on

Who's got my back now?
When all we have left is deceptive
So disconnected
So what is the truth now?

There's still time
All that has been devastated
Can be recreated
Realize
We pick up the broken pieces
Of our lives
Giving ourselves to each other...ourselves to each other
To rest our head on
To rest our head on
To rest our head on

Who's got my back now?
When all we have left is deceptive
So disconnected
So what is the truth now?

Tell me the truth now...Tell us the truth now

Who's got my back now?
When all we have left is deceptive
So disconnected
So what is the truth now?


If I could also point you towards another song that I think is particularly helpful then click here.


Let The Day Begin...Let The Day Start!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts