Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 February 2016

Music is the Doctor 2016 #7 Covers (3)





On The Playlist
Kiss - Age of Chance
Far more interesting cover of Prince classic than Tom Jones' version.
Far Far Away - The Wonder Stuff
They did a whole series of songs giving ups to the music of the Black Country and this was actually the second Slade song they covered (Coz I Luv U was the other one).
You Make My Heart Beat So Bad - Wynonna and The Big Noise
This one is a new one just recently released and is a cover of a Buddy & Julie Miller song.
No Surrender - Kevin Montgomery
As I've probably posted Holly Williams' version of this a number of times I thought this time around it has to be Kevin M's superb version of Bruce's classic 80's tune.
Royals - Youth in Revolt
Done for the Punk Goes Pop series of albums I really do love this version of Lorde's first hit.
Shine - Pillar
Collective Soul's original is one of my favourite songs and so it was a bit of a surprise hearing Pillar do it for their Confessions album.
Another Girl, Another Planet - Misty Miller
This one fascinated me. I've heard a number of good covers over the years of this Only Ones classic but this acoustic rendition is just fabulous.
Sweet Soul Music - The Jam
Always loved it when Weller & Co went for a spot of Sixties Soul, a fairly faithful reading of the Arthur Conley classic.
I'll Keep On Holding On - The Chords
The old Marvelettes tune but taken from The Action's cover I'm sure.
Real Wild Child - Buddy Holly
Probably the most famous cover is Iggy Pop's version but here's a much earlier one by Buddy. Johnny O'Keefe was the first one to record it in 1958 and the song was called Wild One then. Jerry Allison of The Crickets also recorded and released it it in 1958 as did Jerry Lee Lewis (though his version never saw the light of day until 1974 I think).
I Wanna Be Your Dog - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
One of the most famous songs by Iggy & The Stooges and covered by loads of people down through the years. I do like Joan's version though.
Girls Talk - Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs
You could pick any song from their three brilliant volumes of Under the Covers that would sit well. In a previous playlist we had Television's Marquee Moon, this time around it's Dave Edmund's little beauty Girl's Talk. Elvis Costello has covered this as well.
I Want You - Fiona Apple (with Elvis Costello)
Don't know if this can really be called a cover seeing that Elvis is actually involved with it but I'll bend the rules a bit to include it. Always loved Costello's original and here Fiona does a pretty interesting reading of it.
We Got The Beat - The Coathangers
I really enjoy The A.V. Club Covers project that they do every year I think. They have a list of songs and invite bands in and they get to pick what to do, cross it off once done leaving a narrower choice for the next band. The Go-Go's debut single is another favourite of mine and this one by The Coathangers (who I've never heard of before) is nice and quirky.
In A Big Country - Cheatahs
Another from The A.V. Club, this time around it's Big Country. Again this band Cheatahs is unknown to me.
Pretty in Pink - The National
It's a bit twee but quite a charming rendition of The Psychedelic Furs hit.
Sloop John B - Relient K
Recorded for a special they did at Capitol Records Studio in conjunction with their Five Score and Seven Years Ago album. Many have recorded this Beach Boys song including Johnny Cash.
Strength - Loki The Grump
LTG recorded this originally on behalf of Love Hope Strength (Rock and Roll Cancer Charity founded by Mike Peters) and I'm trying to remember if it was a project to find the best cover of this song by The Alarm or whether the bands all did other Alarm songs also. I can always ask my friend Michele as she's the lead vocalist of Loki The Grump (named after her beloved Cat).
Under My Wheels - Hanoi Rocks
I heard Alice Cooper's original last week on the Radio and thought I'd share this one from Hanoi Rocks, filmed and recorded at The Marquee.
Looking At You - The Damned
Last but not least The Damned have always done some fascinating covers and this one, originally done by MC5, is one of my favourites. It was recorded for the Machine Gun Etiquette album in 1979. This particular version is taken from The Final Damnation concert from 1988 at The Town and Country Club, Kentish Town.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts