Search This Blog

Thursday 14 July 2016

Rewind: Dexys Midnight Runners (1980)

Searching For The Young Soul Rebels - Dexys Midnight Runners
Parlophone
Produced by Pete Wingfield
Released 11th July 1980
UK Chart #6



For some strange reason in the middle of the last night I awoke and in my head was the opening bars of the Dexys Midnight Runners single There, There, My Dear. Why this particular song was buzzing around my mind at 2.30am I have no idea but it did make me go and dig out Searching For The Young Soul Rebels album today and give it a blast.

Listening afresh to this album I remembered that whilst I like a fair bit of Dexys stuff it was their very beginnings that I liked the best. I saw them at The Marquee in Wardour Street a few times before Geno became a massive #1 hit for them. Dance Stance, their debut was brilliant as well, though they re-recorded it as Burn It Down for the album.

I really loved the horn section in the band as it was a reminder of some of those great horn sections that appeared on the brilliant Stax/Volt records from days past.

1980 Peel Session
Originally Broadcast 13th March 1980
Repeated 5th May 1980 
01. The Horse
02. Tell Me When My Light Turns Green
03. Geno
04. Breakin' Down The Walls of Heartache


Their second single Geno of course ended up going to #1 but personally I loved the B-Side - Breakin' Down The Walls of Heartache - which the label actually wanted as the A-Side. The old 1968 Johnny and The Bandwagon single sounds so great  by Dexys.

And so to the song I awoke in the middle of the night to:

 There, There, My Dear
Released June 1980
UK Charts #7

I'm still stumped why this was there in my head but hey, it's a good excuse to dig out a great Debut Album and play it again!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts