Search This Blog

Sunday 20 September 2015

45RPM: #31 It's My Life - The Animals (1965)



On this day in musical history The Animals found themselves in the studio laying down the track that would become the follow up to their #2 hit We've Gotta Get Out of This Place (The Beatles' Help prevented it from taking the top spot).

We've Gotta Get Out of This Place, It's My Life and Don't Bring Me Down (also a Top Ten hit reaching #6 in 1966) were all songs associated with the Brill Building in NYC, a place where scores of hit singles were being written.

The Animals premiered the song on American TV show Hullabaloo in Autumn 1965 (see video below).

Dave Marsh said, "It's My Life" was one of a wave of songs in 1965, by artists such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan, that ushered in a new role for rock music as a vehicle for common perception and as a force for social consciousness. Writer Craig Werner sees the song as reflecting the desire on the part of both the Animals and their audience to define themselves apart from the community they came from. Writer Dave Thompson includes the song in his book 1000 Songs that Rock Your World, saying simply, "There is no angrier declaration of independence than this."
It's My Life
Written by Roger Atkins and Carl D'Errico
It's a hard world to get a break in
All the good things have been taken
But girl there are ways to make certain things pay
Though I'm dressed in these rags, I'll wear sable some day

Hear what I say
I'm gonna ride the serpent
No more time spent sweatin' rent
Hear my command
It ain't no use, I'm breakin' loose,
Holdin' me down, stick around

But baby (baby)
Remember (remember)
It's my life and I'll do what I want
It's my mind and I'll think what I want
Show me I'm wrong, hurt me sometime
But some day I'll treat you real fine

There'll be women and their fortunes
Who just want to mother orphans
Are you gonna cry
When I'm squeezing them dry?
Taking all I can get
No regrets
When I ... openly lie
And live on their money
Believe me honey, that money
Can you believe, I ain't no saint
No complaints
So girl go out
Any doubt

And baby (baby)
Remember (remember)
It's my life and I'll do what I want
It's my mind and I'll think what I want
Show me I'm wrong, hurt me sometime
But some day I'll treat you real fine

(It's my life and I'll do what I want) Don't push me
(It's my mind and I'll think what I want) It's my life
(It's my life and I'll do what I want) And I can do what I want
(It's my mind and I'll think what I want) You can't tell me
(It's my life and I'll do what I want)


 It's My Life / I'm Going To Change The World
Columbia
Produced by Mickie Most
Released October 1965
UK Chart #7
US Chart #23
Canadian Chart #2
Swedish Chart #1

A- Side: It's My Life

B-Side: I'm Going To Change The World

Probably one of the most famous cover versions of the song is by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. It was a staple during the Born To Run tour of 1975-76 and other dates throughout the rest of the 1970's.

It's My Life
Recorded at
The Fabulous Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO, USA
February 28, 1977.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts